Eton Mess is a traditional English dessert consisting of a mixture of strawberries, broken meringue, and whipped double cream. First mentioned in print in 1893, it is commonly believed to originate from Eton College and is served at the annual cricket match against the pupils of Harrow School.
Sugar-free meringues are a game changer! I decided to showcase them in the classic Eton Mess, where we can enjoy the natural sugars in the strawberries and devour the meringues without guilt.
The meringue batch in the recipe below yields more than is needed for this recipe, so be sure to store the remainder in an airtight container. Truth be told, these scrumptious little pieces of heaven won’t last long in your home anyway as they are the perfect bite-size treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
The meringues, cream, and prepping of the strawberries can be done in advance and kept in separate containers with the assembly done just prior to serving to avoid the meringues softening. Enjoy!
- For the meringues (makes 40-45 mini meringues):
- 4 egg whites
- 2.1 oz Swerve® Confectioner’s Sweetener
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- For the sweet whipped cream:
- 7 oz heavy cream
- 2 tsp Swerve® Confectioner’s Sweetener
- To serve:
- Reserved sweet whipped cream
- 14 oz strawberries, washed and chopped
- 16 reserved mini meringues
- Mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. To make the mini meringues, start by preheating the oven to 230 °F.
2. In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites, Swerve®, vanilla, and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.
3. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a suitable nozzle, and pipe small dollops onto two trays lined with parchment paper.
4. Place the trays into the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Reduce the oven to 210 °F and bake for another 20 minutes. Without opening the oven door, simply switch the oven off and allow the meringues to cool completely in the oven. Remove and store in an airtight container.
6. Make the sweet whipped cream by whipping the cream and Swerve® to semi-stiff peaks. Cover and set aside until needed.
7. To serve, combine the sweet whipped cream with the chopped strawberries. Arrange the meringues in and around the bowl and garnish with mint leaves if you are feeling fancy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 323 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 17g Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 3.8g Sugar: 2.7g