I grew up eating Jell-O Pudding Snacks. I thought they were delicious! Well, maybe that’s not completely true. I convinced myself they were delicious because they were what all the cool kids brought to lunch. I actually thought they tasted like some sort of sweetened gelatinous plastic. Have you tried them? Not quite a food taste, more chemical.
Here is what is in those little plastic cups: Nonfat Milk, Water, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, less than 2% of: Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Yellow 5, Yellow 6.
So lets break that down: non-fat milk (hormones), sugar (inflammation), corn starch (GMO), Hydrogenated soybean oil (soy, hormones, awful fats, GMO), Cocoa (might be okay depending on where it’s from), the rest are just fillers and flavorings/colorings (which are not good for you).
So basically those little cups are barely even recognizable as a food, and certainly NOT something that I would ever give to my kids!
I had to come up with something that they would like and that I could feel good about giving to them and packing in lunch boxes. Enter Paleo Chocolate Pudding Cups. I also made them sugar-free because: sugar + kids = wheeeeee……crash!
The best part about these is that the ingredients are good for you! Coconut cream is filled with healthy fats that are important for a healthy growing brain, cacao is filled with antioxidants and magnesium, and gelatin has quality protein. Feel good about eating these and sharing them with your kiddos!
The best part about these chocolate pudding cups is that the ingredients are good for you! Feel good about eating these and sharing them with your kiddos!
- 2 (5.4oz) cans coconut cream
- 3 Tbsp cacao powder
- 20 drops chocolate flavored liquid stevia
- pinch sea salt
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Note: if you want to make these into chocolate peppermint cups (which I LOVE!), then add a couple of drops of a high-quality (can be taken internally) peppermint essential oil.
1. In a medium saucepan, combine coconut cream, cacao, stevia, and salt.
2. Turn heat to medium-high and stir until the coconut cream is melted and the liquid is very warm (enough to dissolve gelatin, but not boiling).
3. Mix the water and the gelatin and let it "bloom."
4. Add to the chocolate mixture on the stove and stir until it is completely dissolved.
5. Pour mixture into small bowls or ramekins.
6. Put paleo chocolate pudding cups into the fridge and chill until set, usually an hour or more.
7. If you want to put them in little lunch boxes, then pour it into these little jelly jars. They are the perfect size!
If you purchase through Perfect Supplements, use coupon code REALFOOD10 for 10% off your entire order.
Learn more about essential oils here.
If you want to find a great resource that has all of the best Paleo ingredients all in one place, you can check it out HERE. Thrive Market put together the best of the best and then offers them for a fraction of the cost, and it’s delivered to your door! We order from them every single month!