When I went to nutrition school we studied the raw food diet and I was very intrigued! I went to the bookstore and bought all of the raw books I could find, and then came home and got “cooking”. The breads and crackers looked so delicious, so I dove into those first. Raw vegan onion bread was the first one I made and I became completely addicted to it! I would bring some to work and end up eating all of it within an hour of getting to work, so much for my 16 hour shift snacks!
Years later I wanted to recreate this recipe and could not find the original anywhere! Then one day my recipe card fell out of a book that my 2 year old was playing with! It was a sign, these must be made again. I made some tweaks, and even started adding carrot pulp. Deeeelish! I hope you enjoy them too! Make a double batch, you will be glad you did!
I use this bread for sandwiches. I also break it up into smaller chunks to use as crackers. You can even crumble them on top of salads and in soups. Such an amazing savory flavor!
Addicting Grain Free Raw Vegan Onion Bread
- 3 large sweet onions
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds, ground
- 1 cup flax seeds, ground
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos (a healthy alternative to soy sauce) — where to find
- In a food processor, slice the onions using the disc (you will get some small pieces, and some small slices)
- Process the flax seeds and sunflower seeds in the food processor so they are nice and ground up
- pour in the olive oil and aminos (sorry, dark photo!)
- I also like to add carrot pulp to my crackers when I have some left over from juicing, I adjust the liquids in the recipe accordingly
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stir until well mixed
- Spread evenly on a dehydrator tray, using the silicon sheets, to about 1/4 inch thickness
- Dehydrate at 110 Fahrenheit until done to your likeness. I like it more pliable for bread, and crunchier for crackers
- When done, slice into large or small squares. It can be raw vegan onion bread, or crackers
- Serve like you would with your favorite spreads, or use as the “bread” in sandwiches
- I store them in a large plastic bag in the cabinet, but they can also be stored in the fridge
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share “Addicting Grain Free Raw Vegan Onion Bread” on Google+