This is a great way to enjoy plenty of greens (because everything tastes great with bacon and butter!). I have garnished this tasty side dish with toasted almonds, which offer another flavor dimension along with a little nice crunch! This will serve 4-6 people as a side dish, but the macros are calculated to serve 4 vegetable lovers!
- If you cannot source Spring greens (the first young cabbages of the year), simply use more Savoy cabbage or more Brussels sprouts.
- Be sure to use smoked bacon or pancetta, the unsmoked kind won’t deliver the same flavors.
- Keep an eye on the toasting almonds, as they can burn very quickly. A hot, dry non-stick pan is best, and medium-high heat is all that is needed. Toss the pan every now and then to ensure even toasting.
You’ll love this light, healthy side dish that is ready in about 30 minutes. It goes well with any meal and packs a nutritional punch with fresh ingredients.
- Toast the almonds in a large, dry non-stick pan or wok until golden. Once done, set aside in a little bowl.
- Using the same wok, add the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add in the bacon and garlic, and cook until the bacon is cooked through and the garlic has softened.
- Add in all the sliced greens and toss well to coat in the butter and garlic. Add a very small dash of water (no more than 2 tablespoons) and cook the greens, stir-fry style, until they are wilted and tender, approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately with the toasted almonds sprinkled on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 600mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g