Easy and quick: This deliciously creamy chicken casserole can be served over rice or noodles, or simply with a salad on the side. I call for crispy fried onions here: these are store-bought. But, as delicious as they are, please check the labels because some may include a little gluten or other not-so-great ingredients.
A savory, comforting, creamy chicken casserole that is easy to throw together for a weeknight meal. You can serve it with rice, gluten-free noodles, or if you're eating low carb, serve it with your favorite veggies, cauli-rice, or just a side salad.
- 1 TB olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and deboned (we use Butcher Box meat)
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 3.5 oz sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 10.6 oz heavy cream
- 2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 0.5 oz crispy fried onions
- Handful parsley, finely chopped to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 355°F / 180°C.
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan and fry the chicken breasts until golden on all sides. Transfer to a baking dish where they will fit snugly together. They are not cooked through yet, but they will do so later. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Use these 10 minutes to add the onions, garlic, and sliced water chestnuts to the same pan used to fry the chicken. There should still be plenty of fat in the pan. If not, add a little more olive oil. Cook over moderate heat until the onions completely soften and start to caramelize.
- Pour in the cream and Worcestershire sauce and warm the mixture through for 2 minutes and allow it to reduce a little. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and pour on the creamy mixture. Return the dish to the oven for 30-35 minutes to finish cooking through. The chicken will be safely cooked through when it is no longer pink in the middle, so it is best to check the thickest piece after approx. 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, sprinkle on the crispy onion pieces and the chopped parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 25gSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 47g