I have been using my homemade liquid laundry detergent for quite a while and I love it. The part I don’t love is how messy my husband is when he uses it. He drips it everywhere! I feel foolish always washing the outside of my washing machine! So, I decided to make a homemade powder laundry detergent instead, and I am very pleased with myself! Here’s how to do it:
Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent
- 2 cups Borax
- 2 cups Washing Soda
- 1 bar Castile soap (my favorite one is Dr. Bronner’s lavender bar)
- Essential oils (to make it smell nice!)
- Grate or pulverize (in a food processor) the bar of soap
- Combine with Borax and Washing Soda. Mix. BAM, you’re done. Easy peasy!!!
- Use 1 Tbsp Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent per load
- If you really want to freshen your laundry, try adding essential oils to each load. We typically use Lavender and Purification essential oils. We only use therapeutic grade oils in our household.
- I broke it down on the cost part: each “batch” makes approximately 96 loads. Each load will cost $0.04! If you bought a box of regular detergent at the store that contained 96 loads, you would pay $0.42 per load. Just sayin’
Well, will you give it a go and try my Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent? It will save you time and money, and eliminate the toxic store-bought detergents!