Now let me give a little disclaimer here, just because I call this a Healthy Caramel Corn Recipe, does not mean that you can eat it by the bag. It is delicious and made with healthy ingredients, but it is still a treat and can really get the old blood sugar surging.
Making this recipe as a healthy version of the caramel corn you find in the tins or at the store is definitely a healthy choice! It is a great alternative to the packaged kind that is filled with corn syrup, coloring, and bad oils. Go ahead and bring this along to your parties and holiday celebrations. Everyone loves it and you can feel good about eating a real food version!
Bonus: you can make this into popcorn balls too. The kids love helping with this. Spice it up a bit and flavor it with cinnamon, peppermint essential oil, or dark chocolate drizzle!
Healthy Caramel Corn Recipe
- popped popcorn (approximately 10-12 cups)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil — where to find
- 3/4 cup maple syrup — where to find
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pop your popcorn. Here is how I pop mine on our stovetop
- Combine coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat
- Heat the caramel mixture, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 230°F with a candy thermometer
- Remove from heat, stir in the baking soda (it will foam up), and pour over popcorn
Like my nativity scene in the background? 🙂
- You can let it cool a bit and then form into balls using coconut oil greased hands if you want to make caramel corn balls
- Store in an airtight container, it lasts longer in the fridge
Now for a little caramel corn #foodporn!
Look at this caramel deliciousness!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share with Google+