I love popcorn, especially kettle corn….and I especially love homemade kettle corn!
When I was a kid we used to have popcorn nights, where we would all get to have HUGE bowls of popcorn for dinner. This was a meal reserved for summer nights when it was too hot to eat a big meal, or for winter nights when we would hunker down and watch movies back-to-back — when it was too cold to do anything else.
Now, we didn’t just have plain old popcorn. No sir! We had gourmet popcorn. My dad would simmer garlic butter and fresh basil. We would top that with fresh parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (to give it a cheesy flavor and a B vitamin punch!).
I have been making this popcorn in my own kitchen for a while now and I was recently at a foodie convention (yes, I am a giant nerd!) and was introduced to two new products that elevated my homemade kettle corn skills to a whole new (and very healthy) level. See the bottom of my post for information about these new finds…
I love popcorn, especially kettle corn….and I especially love homemade kettle corn! But with a few ingredients, you can make your own gourmet popcorn at home that the whole family will love. Perfect for movie night!
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet (with a lid) over medium heat.
- Add a few popcorn kernels to the oil and wait until they pop (this is how you know the oil is hot enough).
- Add the rest of your popcorn to the oil.
- Put the lid back on the pan but leave it slightly vented to allow the steam to escape.
- Watch the popcorn continuously, it can burn quickly!
- Give the pan a good shake every once in a while to let the kernels all get to the hot oil.
- As soon as the popping slows down, remove the pan from the heat and let it finish popping on your counter or hot pad.
- Pour the popcorn into a bowl.
- Melt butter and pour over popcorn (I found the butter pictured below at our co-op and it was amazing! The deep yellow butter in the upper right is a raw grass-fed Amish butter that we get from a local farm. It is pure butter heaven!)
- Sprinkle on salt and coco monkey and mix well with your hands. Season to your taste.
So a little bit about the new goodies that I found for making my homemade kettle corn (I grabbed this info right off the manufacturers site)
What is Coco Monkey? It’s a sweetener made from healthy ingredients. They nourish your gut flora and don’t do crazy things to your blood sugar. In my quest to find healthy sweeteners, this has become my favorite because there is no aftertaste!
A little bit about the popcorn oil…it is made of palm oil and coconut oil. These are both high-heat oils which make them perfect for popping popcorn. We love the flavor too!