I hope you like my attempt at Popovers, which seem more like delicious, chewy muffins. The consistency is perfect – and the flavor is glorious!
I played around using a combination of rice flour and tapioca starch and allowed the baking powder and eggs to do what they do best. I also used ghee in place of butter, which added a rich flavor.
Not having popover baking tins didn’t stop me – I simply made these in muffin tins – and the recipe below makes 12 exactly. Enjoy with butter and jam, or alongside your chili con carne for a more savory experience.
- 3.9 oz rice flour
- 1.4 oz tapioca starch
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp guar gum
- generous pinch salt
- 2.1 oz ghee
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 390°F / 200°C.
- Combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, guar gum and salt in a large bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Place the almond milk and ghee into a small pan and heat very gently until the ghee has melted and the almond milk has warmed through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then gradually whisk in the ghee / almond milk mixture.
- Add the egg mix to the flour mix and use a whisk to combine very well. There should be no lumps.
- Divide the mixture between a greased muffin pan, approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 355°F / 180°C.
- Remove and enjoy!
- White Rice Flour
- Organic Tapioca Flour
- Baking Soda
- Fine Ground Celtic Sea Salt
- Grass-fed Organic Ghee
- Almond Milk
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Popover
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 112 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 3.5g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 70mg Sodium: 210mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 3g