My aunt made creamed cabbage for a St. Patrick’s Day family celebration. I almost ate the entire pan full of it! So delicious!! I simply had to learn how to make it in my kitchen. I added in a few things to make it even tastier!
This is a great side dish for the family to enjoy and it boasts just a hint of sweetness (from the apple) and acidity (from the apple cider vinegar). I call for a tart apple (but any apple will do, since they cook down and release their sweetness, and we get a lot of acidity from the vinegar). We love the addition of bacon, which offers massive flavors, and you can cook the bacon crispy or partially crispy – that’s your call. Enjoy!
A delicious, creamy side dish that is low on the carbs and easy to whip up in just 30 minutes.
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready.
- Melt one tablespoon butter in a large non-stick pan and add the bacon. Cook until done, but this will be a personal preference. You may want it super crispy, but I think the smoky flavors are best retained if the bacon is taken off the heat just before it gets too crispy. Remove and set aside in a bowl lined with kitchen paper.
- Add the second tablespoon of butter to the pan. One melted, add the cabbage and the apple.
- Cook the cabbage mixture over moderate heat for 14-15 minutes until the cabbage softens, but this will depend on how thinly you sliced it. Add the cider vinegar along with a small dash of water and continue to cook until the moisture cooks out and the cabbage has completely softened.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir through the soured cream. Do not bring to the boil, else the soured cream may split/become ‘grainy’. Rather leave on a low-moderate heat to just gently warm through.
- Stir through the bacon and taste the mixture, adjusting the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with chopped parsley just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gProtein: 5g