Bone broth has become a sensation amongst the real food and paleo communities in the past few years. Sally Fallon even wrote an entire book about it! Everyone is making it and recommending if for everything from pain recovery to gut healing. But, is it really the magical elixir that everyone is making it out to be? Well, we think it is pretty amazing and have noticed some pretty dramatic health improvements after we started drinking it regularly! The best part is that it’s FOOD, which means you will have many positive benefits from it without side effects!
My husband and I drink a warm mug of bone broth every single night before bed. Recently, we started adding in some turmeric (following my Turmeric Milk recipe) to help with inflammation. After this addition to our routine, my knees no longer hurt from running and my husband doesn’t need to wear wraps on his knees when he plays softball during the week! I’m convinced!
Bone broth is super easy to make, I do it every week! I still can’t tell you how many times people have emailed me asking if I knew of a great place to BUY bone broth that has already been made. Well, I have finally found the answer to this question. I spoke with the owner on the phone, and he is such a nice guy too! I asked him if he would consider writing up a post about bone broth. Not only did he put that together for me, but he even created a coupon code for YOU! Look for it below. In this post, Steve goes over the health benefits of consuming bone broth.
Bone Broth Benefits (Health Benefits)
Is bone broth healthy? Yes! The health benefits of bone broth are so numerous it is considered a superfood.
Many nutritionists recommend bone broth for causes as varied as leaky gut syndrome, poor digestion, joint pain, dry skin, brittle hair and nails, auto-immune diseases, and even cancer.
Most patients that drink bone broth see marked improvements in intestinal and overall health issues.
Why Is Bone Broth Good For You?
Bone broth is good for you for many reasons- it is extremely rich in healing protein, and is a source of numerous minerals as well such as potassium, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus.
Bone broth is also high in the amino acid glycine, which supports the body’s detoxification process and is used in the synthesis of hemoglobin and bile salts. Glycine also supports digestion and the retention of digestive fluids- which is why it plays a critical role in the GAPS diet. Proline, another amino acid found in bone broth, supports superior skin health- especially when paired synergistically with vitamin C.
Have you ever been told chicken soup is good for a cold? The reason is because the liquid in chicken soup (the liquid broth) inhibits neutrophil migration; which mitigates the side effects of colds, flus and upper respiratory infections. Bone broth is good for you and many recommend adding it to one’s daily diet.
Here are 7 reasons you should be drinking bone broth right now:
1. Heal and seal your gut. According to Jill Grunewald, a holistic nutrition coach and founder of Healthful Elements, a cup a day works miracles for leaky gut syndrome but it’s also good for protecting non-leaky guts. The gelatin in the bone broth (found in the knuckles, feet, and other joints) helps seal up holes in intestines. This helps cure chronic diarrhea, constipation, and even some food intolerances.
2. Protect your joints. Taking glucosamine supplements to help with joint pain has been common knowledge for years, but it turns out that bone broth has glucosamine too. But unlike pills, the broth also includes a host of other goodies that help keep your joints happy, healthy, and pain-free. The chondroitin sulfate in bone broth has been shown to help prevent osteoarthritis.
3. Look younger. Bone broth is a rich source of collagen. You can find collagen in all kinds of “plumping” products these days, but why stick it on the outside when you can drink it? Not only is drinking it cheaper, but it can make your skin, hair, and nails look just as radiant.
4. Sleep better, and feel better. The glycine in bone broth has been shown in several studies to help people sleep better and improve memory.
5. Immune support. Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint, actually calls bone broth a “superfood” thanks to the high concentration of minerals. He says that the bone marrow can help strengthen your immune system. A Harvard study even showed that some people with auto-immune disorders experienced a relief of symptoms when drinking bone broth, with some achieving a complete remission.
6. Stronger bones. The phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium in the bones seeps out into the broth leaving you with the essential building blocks for healthy bones.
7. More energy. If you read accounts of bone broth, you’ll notice everyone swears by the energy boost.
If you would like to try making your own, I have a few recipes:
CLICK HERE to Pin this post
None of these health benefits have been evaluated or approved by the FDA. They should not be used in place of personal judgment or medical treatment when needed, nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. (Only your doctor can diagnose and treat disease.) Read my full disclaimer.