Growing up, we had zucchini hotdish frequently in the summertime, because if you’ve ever grown zucchini in your garden then you know how much comes up at once! We had to use it up. Tomatoes were also ready around the same time. My parents would walk down to the garden and pick dinner, 30 minutes later we would be eating it up! Nothing better than fresh zucchini hotdish!
You'll love this fresh, delicious dish with fresh vegetables that only takes 30 minutes to make. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal.
- Pork bacon, chopped into small pieces (approx. 7.1 oz) (We use Butcher Box meat.)
- 1 large, sweet onion, finely sliced
- 1 large or 2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced (approx. 8.5 oz)
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3.5 oz raw cheddar cheese, grated
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped to garnish (optional)
- Have all your ingredients ready.
- Thinly slice the onion, tomatoes, and zucchini into rings. Set aside to drain for now.
- Cook the diced bacon in a large skillet until almost crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and set it aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper, leaving all the fat in the pan.
- Add the onions to the pan of fat and cook over moderate heat until they soften completely and become transparent.
- Remove the pan from the heat and lay the sliced zucchini over the cooked onions in an even layer. Cover with the sliced tomatoes, again in an even layer.
- Return the pan to moderate heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Scatter over the cheese and cooked bacon bits, then return the pan to the heat, covered to allow the cheese to melt. To prevent excess liquid (which may leech from the vegetables), remove the lid from the pan for the last few minutes to allow excess moisture to evaporate. This step is optional but encouraged to prevent a watery bake.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper and scatter over chopped parsley (if using) before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 770mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g
Watch my video below for a quick zucchini hotdish demo