When I went to school for Holistic Nutrition, one of the most popular recipes we shared as students was a “massaged kale salad”. I continue to make this regularly because it is, in my opinion, the easiest and most tasty way to prepare kale.
I make this tasty salad regularly because, in my opinion, it's the easiest and most delicious way to prepare and eat kale.
- Have all your ingredients ready. If you cannot source bags of ready-shredded carrots and cabbage, simply peel, trim and grate whole carrots, and thinly slice fresh cabbage. (Alternatively, place them in the food processor on the shred/grate option.)
- Tip the prepped kale, carrots, cabbage, salt, olive oil, and vinegar into a large bowl.
- Get stuck in with clean, ringless hands and massage the mixture thoroughly for 2 minutes. This process breaks down the kale a little, making it more palatable.
- Add the tart cherries and sliced jalapeños. Lastly, thinly sliced the basil leaves and stir through the salad before serving. (Fresh herbs - especially basil which should be stored at room temperature and not in the fridge – boasts a far better flavor when sliced or chopped just before serving.)
- This salad is even better the next day (kept covered in the fridge), and you could jazz it up further by adding leftover cooked chicken pieces, boiled eggs, nuts, or even blue cheese!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 (3.5 oz)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 710mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
This is the salad I bring to all of the holidays. It’s requested by my family every year.