When I went to school for Holistic Nutrition, one of the most popular recipes we shared as students was a “massaged kale salad”. I continue to make this regularly because it is, in my opinion, the easiest and most tasty way to prepare kale.
- 1 bag organic chopped kale
- 1 bag shredded carrots
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- 1 cup tart cherries
- 3 jalapeños, sliced (optional, I like the heat)
- 1 bunch basil chopped
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Add kale, cabbage, carrots, sea salt, olive oil, and vinegar to a large bowl (I use this heavy duty bowl for all of my salads!)
- Take off your rings and massage the salad with your hands. This breaks the kale down a bit and makes it much more pleasant to eat raw
- Massage for about 2 minutes
- Add in the remaining ingredients and top with any additional toppings of your choice. My favorite are: eggs, chicken, nuts, and blue cheese
- This salad is even better the next day!