I have been making my own yogurt for years and love it so much that the store brands taste watery and bland compared to my own! Plus, making my own saves me a lot of money and is much more health promoting!
But, when I decided to do a Whole 30 I had to give up dairy. Not my yogurt!
So, I decided to figure out how to make coconut milk yogurt instead. I have to admit, it is pretty amazing…and loaded with healthy fat and probiotics! I even got my recipe to achieve the creamy thickness of greek yogurt!
Ditch the store-bought stuff and make your own Greek coconut milk yogurt.
- Place coconut milk in a large saucepan over medium heat, clip a candy thermometer on the side (make sure it is not touching the bottom of the pan, or you will get a false high reading)
- Heat coconut milk until it reaches 180°F, stirring occasionally (this kills any bad bacteria, you don't want that fermenting!).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to 110°F.
- Stir the gelatin into a small amount of water until dissolved, then add to the heated coconut milk.
- Stir in yogurt starter and maple syrup.
- Pour into a clean glass jar.
- Cover glass jar with a cheesecloth or paper towel and place into a dehydrator.
- Set the temp to 110°F and allow to ferment for 8-24 hours, the longer it goes the more tart it will be (I always do 24 hours).
- When you have fermented it for as long as you desire, then place it on the counter and let it cool until it is cool enough to place in the fridge. Do not stir or disturb it. Allow to cool for a few more hours, or overnight. This is what really develops the thick greek yogurt consistency!
- Store in the fridge in a large glass jar with a non-reactive plastic lid.
- Stir in your favorite flavorings: vanilla, cinnamon, pureed berries, honey.
- Lasts up to two weeks in the fridge.