Let me just start by saying that I have always been terrible at making hash browns! They always came out soggy. So I just admitted defeat and decided to stop trying. Once we started eating Paleo I wanted desperately to make sweet potato hash browns. While we avoid eating white potatoes, we definitely include sweet potatoes into our regular rotation.
White potatoes contain anti-nutrients, like saponins, that can be harmful, while sweet potatoes don’t contain those substances. I tried every method out there and failed most of the time, but then I had an idea: first fry, then broil. It worked! Plus, it’s super easy!!! Let me just say YOU’RE WELCOME because these are soooo good! Prep time: 10 minutes.
No more soggy hash browns! Try this method I came up with for crispy, delicious sweet potato hash browns. It's quick and super easy.
- 2 medium organic sweet potatoes
- 4 Tbsp bacon fat (or you can use lard)
- Pinch sea salt
1. Preheat your oven to broil.
2. Wash and grate your sweet potato.
3. In a skillet, melt the bacon fat.
4. Once the fat is hot, add the sweet potatoes and cook until they are starting to brown.
5. Next, place the skillet under the broiler and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve sweet potato hash browns with salt to taste.