My husband grew up on a beef cattle farm so sloppy joes were a mainstay in his diet. So delicious and saucy. Also a staple at every family occasion. After we gave up eating grains, we had no way of eating our sloppy joes. No buns = big mess. I decided to remedy that, while also cleaning up our family recipe a bit to make them a healthy meal that we can add to our meal planning schedule. They turned out even better than I expected!
Clean up your sloppy joes with this healthy recipe. And if you don't eat bread, I came up with a clever idea on how to eat this dish without buns.
- In a skillet, sauté onions in bacon fat until they are translucent.
- Add beef to crockpot and turn on high.
- Add all of the ingredients to the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for one hour, checking and stirring occasionally.
- You can also cook it on low for several hours until the meat is done.
- Once the meat is cooked through it’s time to eat!
- Serve with lettuce cups, on large portabello mushroom caps, or however, you like your sloppy joes!
Learn how to make your own homemade tomato sauce here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.