I can still smell the orange julius stand in the mall. It lured me in as a kid. Call me crazy, but despite all of the new flavors they offer, I still love the original orange julius. So sweet and refreshing, like a creamsicle what you can drink with a straw.
Of course I could not find what’s REALLY in an orange julius anywhere online. But, I did find their list of possible allergens. This leads me to question: why does there need to be soy in there if they claim to be made from milk and orange juice? What is dairy-based flavor enhancer? Well, it’s not real food. Check out their list HERE.
Now, for a real orange julius recipe filled with healthy fats, real milk, and actual juice!
- 20 cubes of frozen orange juice (either fresh squeezed or organic, not from concentrate)
- 4 ice cubes
- 3/4 cup raw grass-fed milk
- 1/4 cup raw grass-fed cream
- 2 pastured egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar — here is the kind we buy
- 2 Tbsp gelatin — here is the kind we buy
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a blender, combine everything and blend until nice and slushy
- Enjoy right away!