Once again, science has finally caught up with folk food medicine, touting baobab as the latest superfood. People have relied on the baobab for millennia, using its leaves, bark, seeds, and fruit as importunate sources of food and medicine.
It is the fruit of the baobab or bottle tree that grows throughout Africa, Asia, and the Middle East and has long been known as the ‘tree of life.’ Baobabs tower above the landscape growing up to 30 meters high and 11 meters in diameter. They are also among the longest-lived trees on the planet and can live more than 3,000 years.
What is Baobab Fruit?
Baobab fruit powder is made of the fruit of the baobab tree. One of the most amazing aspects is that the fruit naturally dehydrates as it matures on the tree, so it needs minimal processing. The fruit looks like a large mango and has a tangy, citrusy flavor.
Why is Baobab Fruit Good for You?
Baobab fruit powder is full of key nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, niacin, antioxidants, and essential minerals like potassium, iron, zinc, and magnesium.
Baobab fruit is packed full of Vitamin C, having more than 100 times the Vitamin C found in the equivalent size serving of oranges. Just one tablespoon of baobab fruit powder contains more than half the United States Food and Drug Administration’s recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C for adults.
Including baobab fruit powder in your diet will:
- Improve your digestive health. Baobab is high in soluble and insoluble fiber which helps support your gut biome and acts as a prebiotic promote the good gut flora your body needs.
- Boost your immune system with high levels of Vitamin C and zinc.
- Prevent anemia as the high vitamin C content will also help your body absorb iron (also found in baobab fruit powder).
- Help to regulate your blood sugar. If you suffer from prediabetes, hypoglycemia or diabetes, baobab fruit powder has been shown to reduce the body’s glycemic response and digestion of starch.
Baobab fruit powder is also good for your cardiovascular system. Baobab’s high Vitamin C levels have been shown to have a positive effect on the plasma C-reactive proteins which measure the risk of heart disease. Vitamin C has also been shown to lower your risk of varicose veins and venous insufficiency. Not only that, the high levels of levels of potassium in baobab fruit powder can help reduce high blood pressure.
Baobab fruit is estimated to have twice as many antioxidants per gram than goji berries. If you’re suffering from oxidative stress, baobab fruit powder is an easy way to lower your risk of a host of chronic diseases.
How Do You Take It?
Baobab fruit powder is easy to include in your regular diet. You can buy it as a powder or as an ingredient in energy bars, fruit leathers, and chews.
It has a pleasant, slightly fruity, tangy taste that is suitable for sweet or savory dishes.
Just a spoonful added to your breakfast smoothie will supercharge your day with energizing essential vitamins and minerals.
Here are some quick ideas to add baobab fruit powder to your daily life:
- Add one tablespoon to juices, milkshakes, and smoothies
- Sprinkle over fresh fruit and yogurt
- Add a spoonful to your oatmeal, cereal, or breakfast muesli
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons to waffle or pancake batter
- Replace your regular thickening agents like corn flour with baobab fruit powder and add to salad dressings, sauces, gravies, stews, and casseroles.
- Add to your favorite hot or cold beverage or make baobab tea by adding a spoonful to hot water
- Stir into coconut water or your favorite sports drink
- Add a spoonful or two to your bone broth to make it extra healthful
- Bake it into bread, muffins, cupcakes, and cookies
- Sprinkle it over popcorn or nuts
Baobab fruit powder is a relatively new superfood. You should be able to find it in your local health food store, if not it’s readily available online from reputable online sellers.
Is Baobab Fruit Powder Safe for Everyone?
Baobab fruit powder is GMO and gluten-free. Research has not shown any side effects of baobab fruit powder, and there are no contraindications. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding or are taking regular medication, it’s best to check with your medical practitioner before you make any major dietary changes
As with any high Vitamin C supplement, consuming too much can cause digestive upsets, but you would need to be taking a lot of baobab fruit powder, more than 300g a day, to exceed safe levels.
Baobab is truly a superfood, packed with essential nutrients and associated with many health benefits. It’s tasty and easy to include in your diet.
CLICK HERE to Pin this post