Fried rice is a special treat that my kids beg for! This stir-fry is so easy to make, but it does help to have all your prep done ahead of time. It could serve four as a main dish or six as a side dish. Also, if you have any cooked chicken pieces on hand, toss them in to add more protein. I have made this with and without garlic – and both versions are great!
In just 35 minutes, you'll have a healthy side dish or main entree if you add protein for a quick and easy weekday meal. It's so much healthier than takeout.
- 21 oz cooked white rice, see Tip 1
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 7 oz carrots, grated
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup peas (using frozen is fine)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 TB unsalted butter
- 2 TB tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), see Tip 2
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Have your cooked rice ready, along with your whisked eggs, grated carrots, chopped red onion, peas, garlic, and sliced salad onions.
- Start with the egg: simply melt half the butter over moderate heat in a large non-stick pan or wok. Add the whisked egg and cook until they scramble to your liking. Set the cooked eggs aside in a bowl.
- Melt the remaining butter to the same pan and add carrots, red onion, peas, garlic, and only half the salad onions. Cook, stirring regularly over moderately high heat until the carrots and onions soften.
- Once softened, tip in the rice and reserved cooked egg. Add the tamari and cook, stirring regularly until all the elements have sufficiently warmed through.
- Drizzle over the sesame oil and serve immediately garnished with the remaining salad onions.
Tip 1: If you prefer to live low carb, replace the cooked rice with blitzed cauliflower.
Tip 2: If you have soy allergies, try using coconut aminos, which offers a similar flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 810mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g