Delicious low-carb, gluten-free breaded fish, that does not take long to whip up at all. These can be enjoyed with your favorite side dishes for a nutritious meal the whole family will love.
Using the traditional pane method of breading fish, I replaced flour with coconut flour and breadcrumbs with coconut flakes – and they turned out fantastic! Wipe the pan clean between each fry-up as the coconut pieces can blacken and burn. Keep your oil moderate and you will have great breaded fish.
We finished it with a generous squeeze of lime to enhance the subtle coconut flavor that comes through.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 pastured egg, whisked
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 4 white fish fillets, skinless and deboned (approx. 4.5 oz each)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Have three wide-bottomed bowls ready. Place the coconut flour in the first, the whisked eggs in the second, and the coconut flakes in the third.
- Place a fish fillet into the coconut flour dusting both sides. Tap lightly to remove excess flour. Dip briefly in the egg and allow excess egg to run off. Finally, press into the desiccated coconut so it adheres to both sides. Set aside until all 4 fillets are prepared.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large, non-stick pan and fry two fillets over moderate heat for 5-6 minutes until golden brown on both sides. Set aside to keep warm while you wipe the pan clean, heat the second tablespoon olive oil and repeat with the remaining two fillets.
- Season the gluten-free breaded fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper and a generous squeeze of lime. Serve with your favorite salad or side vegetable.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 273 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8.3g Sodium: 0.4mg Carbohydrates: 2.4g Fiber: 5.1g Sugar: 1.2g Protein: 27g