We love kefir! Not only is it delicious, but it is also a very health-giving beverage. It populates your gut with the necessary flora to fight off disease and to keep our digestion in check! I add it to smoothies most mornings and my kids just love it! We get raw milk every week so I just had to put up a post all about how to make raw milk kefir!
We love kefir! Not only is it delicious, but it is also a very health-giving beverage. It populates your gut with the necessary flora to fight off disease and to keep our digestion in check!
- 1 quart raw milk
- 1 packet Kefir culture powder
- First, make sure that all of your kitchen tools are VERY clean. Any unwanted bacteria will proliferate and ruin your Kefir.
- Pour the milk into a clean container that will hold a quart of milk.
- Add in the powder Kefir culture and stir until dissolved.
- Place lid on the jar, but do not tighten. You want to keep critters out but also allow for fermentation gas to escape.
- Cover the container with a cloth, sunlight can destroy the beneficial bacteria.
- Let sit in a low traffic area that won’t be exposed to a lot of heat or temperature fluctuations.
- Allow to ferment for 12-36 hours depending on the level of sour you like. I find mine is perfect at around 24 hours.
- Once the raw milk kefir ready, move it to the fridge.
- Now that you have made your initial batch, you can keep making it every week using a small amount of your Kefir. Simply save one cup of the Kefir and add it to another quart of milk. Repeat the fermentation process. So easy to make Raw Milk Kefir!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.