This is a great side dish, packed with flavor, and great for those on a low carb, high fat diet — aka keto. The orange juice added at the end is optional, but it does add a nice fresh zing to the vegetables – and it cuts through the richness of the fatty bacon.
This greens with bacon and citrus is a refreshing, savory side dish that you can pair with any meal, and it only takes 15 minutes to make.
- 10.6 oz smoked, streaky bacon
- 17.6 oz Swiss chard or spring greens
- 0.7 oz unsalted, grass-fed butter
- Juice squeezed from 1 orange (optional)
- Ground white pepper
1. Roughly dice the bacon into smaller pieces.
2. Remove the thicker stalks from the greens and discard them. Roughly chop the leaves and set aside. Halve the orange and squeeze the juice into a little bowl. Set aside.
4. Add the butter to the pan. Once melted, tip in the chopped greens and cook, stirring continuously until they have all wilted completely.
5. Add the orange juice and increase the heat.
6. Cook until all the liquid and moisture evaporate.
7. Season with ground white pepper and serve immediately. (It’s unlikely you will need to add salt due to the saltiness of the smoked bacon.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g