With five kids, I need easy recipes that my kids will eat that also sneak in extra nutrition! This is a family favorite mac and cheese made gluten-free, and even better, I snuck in loads of cauliflower, so the kids still get their servings of vegetables! It could easily feed 4-6 people, but the macros are calculated on a 4-person serving.
This mac & cheese will be a dish kids and adults alike will love. And mamas will really love it because it has extra veggies in it. Delicious comfort food made healthy!
- 14.1 oz uncooked gluten-free macaroni
- 17.6 oz cauliflower florets, trimmed equal size
- 0.7 oz unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 10.6 oz heavy cream
- 1.8 oz sour cream
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 3.5 oz Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Sea salt
- Ground white pepper
- 4.2 oz mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Handful parsley, finely grated to garnish
- Sea salt flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions. Drain well in a colander and set aside.
- In the meantime, prep all your ingredients.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil and add the cauliflower, cooking until tender. Drain and set aside to cool off completely.
- Melt the butter in a large, non-stick pan and add the shallots and garlic. Cook over moderate heat until softened and just starting to caramelize.
- Add the cream, sour cream, mustard, and Parmesan to the pan and stir well, allowing the mixture to warm through. Season with salt and ground white pepper.
- Remove from the heat and add in all cooked macaroni and the drained cauliflower.
- Mix well to evenly coat, then pour the whole lot into a suitable-sized baking dish (like the one you would use for a lasagne).
- Sprinkle on some grated cheddar and put it in the oven, baking for 15-18 minutes until the cheese bubbles and starts to brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1040Total Fat: 65gSaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 510mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 29g