WARNING: Any heavy metal program should be done under the close supervision of a medical professional. This post is not intended to be taken as medical advice, it is simply a recount of the protocol that I used in my own personal heavy metal detoxification. I wanted to avoid mercury toxicity at all costs. On with the program…
After doing my homework on Amalgam fillings, I decided that I wanted to have them removed. However, if you do not have them removed properly by someone who knows how to protect you from the mercury, there can be adverse health consequences. Some people have suffered serious ills after having their fillings removed from the high level of mercury they were exposed to during the removal causing mercury toxicity. I did not want this to happen to me, so I began to research yet again.
Read THIS POST that details why I had them removed
How did I personally prepare for the removal? Glad you asked! Here is what I did:
- gallbladder and liver cleanse (once per month) to amp up the livers detoxifying abilities (find out how to here)
- coffee enemas (daily), again to help my liver, as well as, to get my colon in good working order to eliminate toxins. I only use THIS BRAND of coffee in my enemas though, because it is specially formulated for coffee enemas and does not contain mycotoxins.
- drank lots of water to help keep the kidneys up to par
- what I ate: a nutrient dense diet filled with lots of organic vegetables, properly sourced grass-fed and pastured meats, pastured eggs, organic raw milk/kefir/yogurt, homemade kombucha, small amounts of fruit, healthy fats (coconut oil, avocado, grass-fed butter, ghee) and fermented veggies
- what I did NOT eat: pasteurized dairy, processed foods (anything in a box), grains, legumes, sugar, large amounts of fruit, large amounts of nuts, processed oils (corn oil, soybean oil, canola oil), juice or soda.
- made sure to take a high quality whole-food vitamin to keep my body nourished
- continued taking my daily fermented cod liver oil, increasing the dose slightly before my dental appointment
The day before the procedure I consumed my usual healthy diet and doubled up on the dose of my cod liver oil.
The morning of I did not take any of my vitamins because vitamin C can adversely react with anesthetic (think waking up during surgery!!!). I drank 2 scoops of bentonite clay mixed in water. I also took chlorella and activated charcoal pills right before going into the dental office.
Read THIS POST that details my procedure
Immediately after the procedure I took additional activated charcoal, a zinc chelating pill, more chlorella, and zeolite. I went home and did a detox bath and drank lots of water to flush the toxins out. For dinner that night I made a liver detox smoothie. I went to bed early.
Here is why I chose the supplements that I took to chelate:
Activated Charcoal: it absorbs metals like mercury and other heavy metals so that they can be passed out of the body. The charcoal can be consumed orally for effective treatment of heavy metal poisoning. Our bodies do not digest or absorb activated charcoal so it is not possible to overdose on activated charcoal when it is consumed.
Chlorella: I took chlorella when I was pregnant with my children to protect them from any mercury in my system from my fillings. You have to make sure that it is “broken cell wall” chlorella because the key to its detoxing abilities lies within the indigestible membrane. A typical dose of chlorella for heavy metal detox is about 20 – 30 grams per day.
While some detoxifying supplements simply release toxins from cells and tissues, chlorella is particularly adept at binding to toxic metals and ushering them out of the entire system. Chlorella contains proteins and peptides which are designed to bind to these substances and carry them out of the body. The chlorophyll in chlorella also aids heavy metal detoxification. (source)
Bentonite Clay: Bentonite clay helps to absorb and bind the heavy metals and help our body eliminate them via our bowel movements. You have to be sure that you are drinking enough water and having regular bowel movements so you are getting rid of everything, otherwise it will sit in your GI tract and reabsorb back into the bloodstream.
Much of Bentonite clay’s effectiveness is derived from its negative ionic charge, which pulls positively charged particles from the body via the bloodstream and then eliminates them via the kidneys and bowels. Heavy metals, pesticides, harmful bacteria, etc. all have a positive charge, and essentially get hovered up by the calcium bentonite clay. (source)
Zeolite: Zeolite is a common chelator used to remove heavy metals and was recommended to me by a holistic health professional.
Zeolite is a natural volcanic mineral, formed as lava rocks ash were altered in alkaline groundwaters and crystallized over millions of years. The mineral has a unique structure, honeycomb in shape, with a negative charge that traps positively charged metals….zeolites are being used to trap and remove the heavy metal elements that the human body is exposed to on a daily basis. The zeolites themselves, having picked up the metals and toxins, leave the body soon after consumption, within 6-7 hours, in the urine, as well as in the stool sometime later. The cleansing structures and properties of liquid zeolites work to remove many toxins from the body, not only the toxic metals. (source)
Zinc Liver Chelate: This one was recommended to me by my chiropractor as an effective chelator. It is only meant to be taken in the short term for the initial detox. I only bought one bottle. Read more here.
What did I notice after removal?
- I had developed TMJ in my left jaw that actually got so bad at one point I even developed a transient facial droop! The TMJ was gone immediately after my fillings were removed…that day! Hasn’t come back yet!
- I CRAVED fat after the procedure, like I wanted to eat copious amounts of butter. My theory on that is that my body needed some place to put the toxins that were being released. We store toxins in our fat tissue after all.
- I have a more even mood, no more blow-ups when I am at the end of my rope.
- My digestion seems better, not as much bloating!
For more information on oral health and how to take care of your teeth, please check out the following books: