I grew up camping on the weekends in the summer months. No camp day was complete without s’mores! Over the years I have perfected my technique of roasting the most perfect golden, melty marshmallow ever. Sandwich that between graham crackers and chocolate bars and you have an amazing camp dessert. Such a treat!
Well, now that we don’t eat a lot of the stuff that you find on store shelves, I have had to learn to make my own. I figured out how to make homemade grain-free graham crackers, and I know where to find good chocolate….but the marshmallows were still filled with junk. Then I started seeing recipes online for homemade marshmallows. Who knew! After much tinkering in my kitchen with the kiddos, we finally perfected a delicious homemade marshmallow recipe. We even dusted them with cocoa! A kiddo favorite for sure, only these are made with healthy ingredients.
After much tinkering in my kitchen with the kiddos, we finally perfected a delicious homemade marshmallow recipe. We even dusted them with cocoa! A kiddo favorite for sure, only these are made with healthy ingredients.
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup grass-fed gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
- coconut oil, for greasing
- cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Grease a glass baking dish with coconut oil, then dust with cocoa powder.
2. Heat 1/2 cup water until bubbling.
3. In a medium bowl, combine hot water with gelatin and whisk until the gelatin is dissolved, set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat 1/2 cup water, and honey over medium-high heat.
5. Using a candy thermometer, heat the honey and water until it reaches 250°F (aka, the hardball stage).
6. While the honey and water are heating, beat the 2 egg whites using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
7. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
8. Pour your honey mixture into the gelatin and water, whisk until it is all combined and there are no lumps.
9. Pour this into the mixing bowl with the egg whites and whip until it becomes thick, like marshmallow cream.
10. Beat for about 10-15 minutes using your mixer.
11. When it's nice and thick, pour it into the prepared dish.
12. Place the dish into the fridge for about 2 hours, until set.
13. You should be able to peel the marshmallow out in a loaf when it's ready.
14. Here is the underside.
15. Place the loaf onto a cutting board and cut into squares.
16. Put the marshmallows into a large bag with some more cocoa powder and toss so the marshmallows are coated on all sides.
17. Store in a large plastic bag, I keep them in the fridge and they last for several weeks.
18. Makes about 25-35 marshmallows, depending on the size that you cut them into.
When you purchase through Perfect Supplements, use coupon code REALFOOD10 for 10% off your entire order!
Here is a short video of what I will look like when you take it out of the pan