Lettuce wraps are one of my favorite foods, and we just leveled up by making them taco lettuce wraps! Low carb, packed with protein and delicious healthy ingredients! They can be made even tastier by using sour cream and cheese. Depending on the size of your lettuce leaves, you could make anything between 6-12 ‘tacos’, but the macros are shown as this recipe serving 6 people as a light meal option (using 12 small Romaine leaves).
These are best served warm (if the beef is too hot, they will wilt the lettuce and if the beef is left to cool too long, the fats will congeal and solidify unpleasantly). Also, the fresher the ingredients, the better! Fresh guac, fresh cilantro, fresh tomatoes. Oh my! You can top these with your favorite fresh taco toppings.
These easy taco lettuce wraps are low carb, packed with protein, and include delicious healthy ingredients! They can be made even tastier by using sour cream and cheese!
- 21.2 oz lean ground beef (we use Butcher Box meat)
- ½ green bell pepper, diced small
- 2 TB taco seasoning (or make your own - see my recipe in the Notes)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ red onion, diced small
- 1 red chili, diced small
- Small handful of cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 TB olive oil
- 12 leaves of gem, cos or Romaine lettuce
- Sour cream (optional, to serve)
- Grated cheddar cheese (optional, to serve)
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready: the ground beef, the diced green pepper, and the taco seasoning. In a small bowl, combine the avocado, tomato, red onion, chili, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. This will be your delicious relish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan or wok. Cook the diced green pepper over moderate heat until softened. Once softened, tip in the taco seasoning.
- Stir well. The pan will start to look very dry as the spice mix absorbs all the moisture.
- At this time, tip in ground beef and increase the heat to high. Cook, stirring continuously until the mince has browned evenly. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Prepare several leaves of Romaine lettuce. Spoon the mince mixture into the little lettuce ‘boats.’ Spoon over the relish and enjoy with any of the other optional extras, such as soured cream or grated cheese.
Make your own taco seasoning here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 3.5gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g