Tarragon is such a beautiful, fragrant herb with a distinct flavor that infuses a sauce effectively. Here, I serve chicken breasts with a creamy tarragon sauce and a celery root mash to mop it all up. Ideal for those living a very low carb or keto lifestyle.
- Chopping the celery root small will ensure quicker cooking.
- This sauce is lovely and will suit any meat, so try it with steak, fish, or even duck breasts.
- If you want an even creamier celery root mash, transfer the mash to a food processor and blitz until creamy and puree-like.
You'll love this easy creamy chicken dish which you can whip together in about 40 minutes. It's delicious, low carb, and uses a lesser-known veggie - celery root.
- For the celeriac mash:
- 14 oz peeled celery root, chopped small
- 1.8 oz sour cream
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TB unsalted butter
- For the creamy tarragon chicken
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and deboned (we use Butcher Box meat)
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra to brush the chicken
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped (plus extra to garnish)
- 3.5 oz heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brush over a little olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes until safely cooked through. Remove and leave to rest before serving.
- In the meantime, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and add the celery root chunks. Cook until completely softened, then drain in a colander. Return the celery root to the pan and add the sour cream, salt and pepper. Mash well, then add the butter to melt in.
- Just before serving, make a quick sauce. Gently fry the garlic gently in a teaspoon of olive oil over low heat, then add the lemon juice and tarragon. Increase the heat to medium-high and pour in the cream. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about a minute to warm through and thicken a little.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and scatter over more tarragon. The celery root mash is a great side dish to mop up all the sauce!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 390mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 8gSugar: 5gProtein: 40g