This is a simple, fresh, and spicy dish of chicken drumsticks with a tomato and red bell pepper sauce. Enjoy with rice, mashed potatoes, or healthy pasta if you like. However, it’s just as delicious with a side of cauliflower ‘rice’ if you are living very low carb. Spicy, saucy chicken drumsticks are a delicious and quick weeknight meal.
- You don’t need to make the chicken drumsticks in the oven – use your air fryer instead!
- Adjust the amount of chili powder on your chicken (and optional hot sauce to finish) according to your personal preference. Or simply leave them out altogether if you are cooking for the kids.
Spicy Saucy Chicken Drumsticks
Try this spicy, saucy chicken drumstick recipe if you need a quick, easy, and flavorful weeknight dinner. Pair them with your favorite sides for a delicious, filling meal.
- 8 chicken drumsticks (we use Wild Pastures -- this link saves you 20%)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 TB olive oil
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum), core and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- Splash of water
- 1 TB gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (180°C).
- Season the chicken drumsticks on all sides with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Spread them out on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until safely cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and red pepper, cooking for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce to the pan along with a dash of water (approx. 1/4 cup). Once bubbling, reduce the heat to medium-low and leave to simmer until the mixture thickens and reduces. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning.
- The sauce will likely be done around the same time as the chicken. Stir most of the chopped parsley into the sauce and season with salt and pepper. If you like, add a little hot sauce.
- Serve the chicken drumsticks with the sauce and scatter the remaining parsley over the entire dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3.5gCholesterol: 175mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 35g