My Grandma had a sweet tooth and she gave it to me! Her favorite treat was a coconut macaroon and a cup of coffee. I remember thinking she was crazy for liking cookies made from coconut! Not any more. We use so much coconut our house that I just had to try making them. I did not want to add sugar and junk though, so I made my own recipe: Paleo coconut macaroons. This recipe is a much healthier variation because they contain immune boosting raw honey, healthy fat in the coconut, and quality protein with the pastured eggs. Not to say these are a balanced meal in one little cookie, but they are a much healthier option if you are going to have a sweet treat!
- 6 egg whites (preferrably from pastured eggs)
- 1/2 cup raw honey — where to find
- 3 cups shredded coconut — where to find
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Beat egg whites in a large, clean and dry bowl using a hand mixer
- Beat until stiff peaks form
- Drizzle in melted honey (to melt your raw honey, read this post) and vanilla
- Fold in coconut
- Using a cookie scooper (like this), scoop batter onto dehydrator trays
- Dehydrate at 145* until firm to your likeness (sometimes I like them chewy and sometimes I like them crunchy….it’s up to you)
*Note: When I make this recipe, I also make a double batch of my homemade mayonnaise. It is a great way to use up the 6 egg yolks you have leftover from this recipe!
What desserts do you remember from your childhood? I would love to hear about them in the comments below!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe