Everyone loves an abundance of cucumbers in their summer gardens, and this is my FAVORITE way to enjoy them! My grandma used to make this all the time, and I have fond memories of watching her whip it up in her kitchen. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill in the fridge! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
This is a refreshing salad that is perfect for a hot summer day. If you need to use up an excessive amount of cucumbers, try this amazing recipe.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small banana shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2.8 oz mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tsp Swerve® Confectioners Sweetener
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Handful fresh dill, finely chopped (at least 1 TB)
- Peel and halve the cucumber, then thinly slice. My yield was 11.3 oz of trimmed weight. Place into a bowl along with the peeled and thinly sliced banana shallot (you can also use a small, sweet onion).
- Add the salt and mix well to evenly coat. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the mixture to a sieve or strainer and leave to drain for another 30 minutes. You will be surprised how much excess liquid leeches out.
- Pour the cucumber/onion mix into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Make your own homemade mayo here.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 370mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g