A deeply satisfying, quick and easy Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry, which takes no time at all to throw together. The sauce can be made a little ahead of time and you can use canned pineapple chunks for convenience. All the prep and chopping can also be done ahead of time, so you need only throw the stir-fry together at suppertime. Do not forget the little garnishes (chopped cilantro) as it enhances the flavor of the dish and the toasted almonds offer flavor and fantastic texture.
Serve the dish with steamed cauliflower rice (as the sugar content in the sauce may require you to cut back on the carbs where you can!). If this is not an issue for you, this stir-fry is excellent served over fragrant rice, like Jasmine or Basmati.
Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry
- 2.5 oz sugar-free tomato ketchup — here is my favorite kind
- 1 oz rice wine vinegar – where to find
- 2.1oz brown sugar (or you can use coconut sugar)
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos — coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil — we love this brand because it’s pure, no fillers!
- 4 skinless, deboned chicken breasts, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced
- 5 oz bamboo shoots, drained weight
- 7 oz pineapples chunks, drained weight
- Handful chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Whisk together the ketchup, rice wine vinegar, sugar and coconut aminos in a bowl. Set aside.
- Toast the sliced almonds in a large hot, dry pan until golden. Remove and set aside.
- Heat half the olive oil in the same pan and cook the diced chicken until lightly golden. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan of chicken pieces and add the diced bell peppers, garlic, and ginger.
- Continue to cook over a moderate heat. Add the pineapple chunks and bamboo shoots and tip in the sauce. Continue to cook, stirring regularly while the sauce reduces and the chicken cooks through.
- Serve the sweet and sour chicken garnished with chopped cilantro and toasted almonds. Fantastic with steamed cauliflower rice.
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share “Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir-Fry” on Google+