This is just about all the best ingredients stuffed into giant mushrooms! I love these as a side vegetable option, but they also make a great topping for burgers or even steak. Be sure not to add any salt seasoning as the smoked bacon and blue cheese take care of that, but I do advise a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. If you have any reduced-sugar chutney or jam, a small teaspoon on top of each may finish it off to balance out the flavors, but I love these just as they are!
This is just about all the best ingredients stuffed into giant mushrooms! I love these as a side vegetable option, but they also make a great topping for burgers or even steak.
- Preheat the oven to 355 °F.
- Gently remove the stalk from the mushrooms and finely chop the stalks.
- Thinly slice the salad onion – but keep the white parts and the greener ends separate (we use the green ends to garnish).
- Have all your ingredients prepped and ready, finely chop the garlic, and dice the bacon into small pieces.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a non-stick pan and cook the bacon pieces over moderate heat until they become completely crispy. Remove the crispy bacon pieces using a slotted spoon (leaving all the fat in the pan) and place them onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain.
- Lay the mushrooms out onto a large tray and use a silicone pastry brush to baste the bottoms of the mushrooms lightly with the fat from the pan. Turn them open side up and lightly brush the sides too. Set aside.
- Add another teaspoon olive oil to the same pan and cook the salad onions (white parts), garlic, and chopped mushroom stems over moderate heat until completely softened.
- Crumble in the blue cheese and add the cream cheese and half of the bacon pieces. Gently combine over low heat until the cheese melts. (The mixture will be salty enough from the blue cheese and bacon, so you will only need a generous crack of black pepper to season.)
- Fill the mushrooms with this mixture.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Before serving, tip the tray on its side a little to drain any excess moisture from the mushrooms.
- Serve with the remaining crispy bacon and green salad onions ends as a garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 460mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g