Breakfast is always tricky with kids for a variety of reasons: time constraints, crabby kids in the early morning, and picky eaters. Throw food restrictions into the mix and it can be very frustrating to find a great way to do breakfast!
While doing an elimination diet with my son, we had to eliminate eggs, white sugar, and all grains. Hmmm. So, I did some experimenting and came up with some Healthy Egg-Free, Gluten Free Breakfast Cookies, and they were a big hit! We have made these a number of times since I first created this recipe and like to add in things like: shredded carrots, raisins, different nuts, etc. They are very versatile and hide all sorts of goodies! Enjoy!
Healthy Egg-Free, Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tbsp raw honey — where to find
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (mixed with 5 Tbsp water) — this is an egg replacement for 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour — where to find
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour — where to find
- 1/2 cup coconut flour — where to find
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened) — where to find
- 1/2 cup grass-fed collagen — use coupon code REALFOOD for 10% off when you order HERE
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free) — where to find
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 apples, minced or shredded
- 2 bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chia seeds in water and allow to gel.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Flatten the Gluten-free breakfast cookies using the bottom of a glass.
- Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes.
- When you remove them from the oven and allow them to cool, if you pick them up too soon, they will break apart.
- Once firm enough to pick up, cool on a wire rack.
- Makes about 20 Healthy Egg-Free, Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies.
- Store the breakfast cookies in the fridge in an airtight container.