Breakfast is always tricky with kids for a variety of reasons: time constraints, crabby kids in the early morning, and picky eaters. Throw food restrictions into the mix and it can be very frustrating to find a great way to do breakfast!
While doing an elimination diet with my son, we had to eliminate eggs, white sugar, and all grains. Hmmm. So, I did some experimenting and came up with some Healthy Egg-Free, Gluten-Free Breakfast Cookies, and they were a big hit! We have made these a number of times since I first created this recipe and like to add in things like: shredded carrots, raisins, different nuts, etc. They are very versatile and hide all sorts of goodies! Enjoy!
Breakfast can be tricky, but it's hard to pass up these delicious cookies. They are very versatile and allow you to hide all sorts of goodies in them, such as shredded carrots, raisins, different nuts, etc.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (mixed with 5 Tbsp water) -- this is an egg replacement for 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup grass-fed collagen
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 apples, minced or shredded
- 2 bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chia seeds in water and allow to gel.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well combined.
- Line a baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Flatten the Gluten-free breakfast cookies using the bottom of a glass.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- When you remove them from the oven and allow them to cool, if you pick them up too soon, they will break apart.
- Once firm enough to pick up, cool on a wire rack.
- Store the breakfast cookies in the fridge in an airtight container.
When you order grass-fed collagen, use coupon code REALFOOD for 10% off when you order HERE.