These grilled bananas make a delicious dessert option, especially when served with this lightly spiced honey sauce and simple whipped cream. (The whipped cream is optional and therefore not included in the macros).
- When shopping, aim for very firm bananas.
- I like to use a griddle pan to achieve the pretty char marks on the bananas.
- Whipped cream can be made by simply using a hand mixer to whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overwhip!
A classic, simple dessert that was originally created at a restaurant in New Orleans in the 1950s. It’s easy to throw together and will curb any sweet tooth. You can feel good about eating this healthy version.
- Place the honey, heavy cream, water, butter, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the spices and reduce to a simmer and leave on a low – medium heat until it reduces to a thicker sauce. Keep your eye on it, especially in the beginning, as it can bubble over.
- Meanwhile, peel the bananas and slice them at an angle into thick pieces. You don’t want them too thick, but not too thin either. Approx. 0.6” / 1.5 cm thick.
- Heat the light olive oil in a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sliced bananas and grill for around a minute or two per side until visible char marks appear. They will also slightly soften but monitor the temperature as we don’t want them to cook to a mash. This is best done in several batches so as not to overcrowd your griddle pan.
- Serve the grilled bananas with the spiced sauce (and whipped cream, if using). Top with a few coconut flakes for extra crunch!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 1g