Are you enjoying the huge health benefits of activated charcoal? And no, I’m not talking about the kind you use in your outdoor grill, which is filled with scary toxins! Activated charcoal has been used since 1500 BC to assist with all types of ailments. Even the ancients knew about the amazing health benefits of activated charcoal.
It’s most amazing property is that it detoxes the body by trapping chemicals, toxins and poisons. I have given it to many many patients in the ER who came in with an overdose of a medication! This stuff has some serious detoxification power!
How Activated Charcoal Works
Activated charcoal traps toxins in its minuscule pores so that they can be safely eliminated from the body as it moves down through the GI tract. Charcoal is “activated” when it is reduced to a tiny particle size, which increases the surface area, along with its absorptive capacity. The porous surface has a negative electric charge which positively charged toxins bond to.
Rather than absorb the poisons and toxins, activated charcoal creates a chemical process called adsorption. Adsorption is the chemical reaction in the body when toxins bind to a surface, in this case, of activated charcoal. Absorption is the reaction in the body when chemicals, toxins, and even nutrients, are soaked up and assimilated into the bloodstream.
While it is a slight difference in wording, it is very important. It means that activated charcoal has the ability to attract toxics and chemicals in the body so that they don’t enter the bloodstream at all. When our bodies absorb toxins, they build up and cause illness, disease and poison us.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Activated Charcoal
10. Treats poisoning: As I mentioned earlier, activated charcoal is used worldwide to treat both accidental and intentional poisoning of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs and even heavy metals. It’s been found effective to treat poisoning from opium, cocaine, morphine, pesticides, mercury, bleach, fertilizer, aspirin, acetaminophen and most organic compounds. NOTE: It’s vital to call 911 and Poison Control if someone in your household is poisoned, because the exact dose of activated charcoal is imperative to their recovery. But, for this reason, we always have a bottle of this stuff in our house! You can find it on Amazon for a super low price.
9. Cleanses digestive tract: Because of the heavy toxin burden we carry in our modern age, it’s important that we purify our digestive tract to maintain optimal health. Even those of us who work hard at eliminating toxins from our home are still surrounded by toxins in our daily environments. Activated charcoal removes the poisons in the digestive tract that cause oxidation, allergies and poor immune health. Detoxifying your digestive tract can do such things as improve mental function, improve energy levels and alleviate joint pain.
8. Reduces high cholesterol: In medical studies, activated charcoal has been proven effective in reducing bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol (HDL) as much as many prescription medications. In one study, within four weeks, participants saw a total decrease of 25 % of their total cholesterol, while their LDL decreased by a whooping 41% and HDL increased by 8%!
7. Eliminates mold: Did you know mold can live and grow in your body? Well, it can, and it is dangerous to your health! Anyone who has been around mold might want to consider adding activated charcoal to their health care regiment. Toxic mold can cause such things as decreased brain function, heart disease, headaches, lowered immune function, respiratory illnesses, depression and liver and kidney disease.
6. Whitens teeth: This all natural substance can even get your pearlies whiter! I add it to my DIY toothpaste because it removes built up stains from some of the toughest foods and drinks like tea, wine, coffee and berries. My dentist can’t get over the difference in my teeth — all without using his toxin-filled whitening program! Tip: brush with it when you are in the shower, because it can make a black mess of your sink. I always use it in the shower and it washes right away!
5. Helps with gas and bloating: Since activated charcoal can trap gas as well as liquid toxins, it’s effective in alleviating gas caused by foods, like beans. You can even take it an hour before a meal that causes you gastric discomfort and then after eating to bind up all of the gas-causing chemicals. It can also be used to treat food poisoning. However, I do not recommend eating a junk food diet and then taking charcoal to negate the side effects from this food. Always eat real food when possible!
4. Reduces skin irritations: My little ones love to be outside, but they still complain when they get a bug bite. I just add charcoal to some coconut oil and rub it on the bite! It reduces redness and swelling by quickly pulling out the poisons from the bug. And, though thankfully I’ve never needed it for this, it can even be used to treat bites from snakes and dangerous spiders, like Brown Recluse or Black Widow! Of course if you have a severe allergic reaction to bees, do not use charcoal. Follow the recommendations of your health care provider, carry your epi pen, and seek immediate medical attention!
3. Fights aging: Activated charcoal also fights against premature aging by detoxing the body of chemicals that cause cellular damage and oxidation which contributes to the aging process. Flushing out these toxins benefits all of your organs, including the kidney and liver, and helps keep your adrenal glands healthy, which naturally improves energy levels. When I do a detox my favorite two tools for getting the toxins OUT of my body are: coffee enemas and activated charcoal!
2. Cleanses tap water: If you don’t already, you should really consider using an activated charcoal filtration system for your water! Activated charcoal traps all sorts of nasty stuff that is put into our tap water, including pesticides, industrial waste, solvents and even some fluoride! There are many different types of systems out there — you can get a whole house filtration system, or one that sits on your counter top. We have this one, but we are saving our pennies for this one!
1.Detoxes your skin: This one is my favorite use!!! There are a couple of ways to use charcoal for your skin and I use it every single day! You may not think about using black, sooty stuff on your face usually, but in this case, you should!
Charcoal Soap: washing your face with a quality activated charcoal soap removes excess oil, dirt and makeup that most cleansers leave behind. Plus, if you get the right bar, it doesn’t include any toxins at all, so you aren’t adding to your toxic load.
I use this Charcoal Cleansing Bar every single morning. It doesn’t dry out your skin while detoxifying because it rehydrates your skin with organic coconut and sunflower seed oils while cleansing it. Other commercial face
cleansers (and even other activated charcoal bars!) contain parabens and synthetic fragrances, antioxidants and dyes that actually add to the toxins your skin absorbs! What’s the point of that?
It even clears up acne and pimples without all the harsh, scary toxins! It reduces the size of your pores, and since activated charcoal detoxifies, it removes the buildup of chemicals that cause premature aging! I use it every single morning! They always sell out of this amazing soap, so if you want some grab a bar right now!
Charcoal Face Mask: I just started using this one and not only is it FUN to have a little home spa session, but this stuff is like skincare magic! A mineral-rich mix of kaolin clay and charcoal, it works to gently exfoliate, draw out impurities, and soothe your skin. It also helps improve skin’s overall condition by refining the appearance of pores and increasing elasticity.
Activated Charcoal Safety and Usage:
- Charcoal`s high absorbency may reduce the effectiveness of certain medications. Consult a physician before taking charcoal capsules with other medications.
- None of the information in this post is intended to be taken as direct medical advice. Before starting any supplement regimen, always consult with your primary care provider.
- Always follow the dosage instructions listed on the bottle.