Back in high school, my friend Alisha’s mom made THE BEST lemon bars on the planet! Completely binge-worthy! She would lure me over to her house with them. If you are familiar with anything Minnesotan, then you know we LOVE us some dessert bars!
Over the years, I changed up my way of eating, and my exclusions would not allow for the traditional lemon bars. But, that didn’t stop me! I came up with my own version of Grain-Free Lemon Bars that are just as tasty as the original recipe!
But before I get to the recipe, check out this gem. A picture of me enjoying the lemon bars with my friend Alisha. I was about 17 here, and clearly had a great fashion sense!
These Grain-Free Lemon Bars that are just as tasty as the original recipe!
- 1 cup cassava flour -- where to find
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar -- we use this brand
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 4 large pastured eggs
- 1 large pastured egg yolk
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 10 drops lemon vitality essential oil
1. Heat to 325°F.
2. Grease an 11x7-inch baking glass dish with butter. Line the dish with a parchment paper sling, leaving an overhang of about 2 inches on each long side.
3. Combine the flour, cane sugar, powdered sugar, zest, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse to combine.
4. Add the butter and pulse until it looks like coarse crumbs.
5. Press the crust into the greased pan and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
6. Par bake the crust until light golden-brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
7. In a separate bowl, whisk the whole eggs, egg yolk, cane sugar, powdered sugar, zest, salt, lemon juice, cassava flour, and lemon essential oil.
8. Remove the parbaked crust from the oven and pour the lemon filling onto the warm crust.
9. Return the pan to the oven and bake until light brown around the edges, about 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
11. Remove the lemon bars from the pan using the parchment sling.
12. Use a fine-mesh strainer to generously dust the bars with powdered sugar.
13. Store your grain-free lemon bars in a sealed container in the fridge; they will last up to one week.
Learn more about lemon vitality essential oil here.
My kids LOVE them!!!