A hearty and very filling Spaetzle – made using gluten-free flour and boasting a subtle nutmeg flavor. I am mostly German, so this food is my soul food!
We love this rustic spaetzle as all the little pieces vary in size (who likes perfect food anyway?). You will need to have a ricer handy, as this was what I used to push the batter through into the boiling water.
Serve with your favorite meat stew or any other dish that has a sauce that needs to be mopped up, but while this is essentially a German-inspired dish, it would go well with something like pork chops and mustard sauce. I grew up eating it with lots of butter!
This recipe below will serve 4 people as a side dish, and since it’s quite a ‘heavy’ meal, you could possibly even stretch it to 5-6 people.
A hearty and very filling Spaetzle – made using gluten-free flour and boasting a subtle nutmeg flavor.
- 11.6 oz gluten-free flour
- Generous pinch salt
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 6 oz whole milk
- 2 TB olive oil
- Chopped herbs, to garnish (optional)
- Combine the gluten-free flour, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and milk, whisking well to combine the mixture into a smooth, thick batter.
- Have a ricer ready (we like this one)
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Working in 3-4 batches at a time, pour the thick batter into the ricer and gently push down to release the batter ‘threads’ into the boiling water.
- Keep an eye on the water, as it can easily bubble over. Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked spaetzle and place into a colander to drain. Repeat the process until all the batter has been used.
- Tip all the drained spaetzle into a large bowl and drizzle over the olive oil to prevent it from sticking together.
- Garnish with some chopped herbs, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 430mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g