As more scientific studies on Electromagnetic Field (EMF) exposure are released, our fear increases, which is as it should be. The problem is that most scientific studies only give the facts of how the increase in our reliance on technology is exposing us to more EMFs. They don’t tell us what to do to protect ourselves. Luckily I found an amazing guy here in the Midwest who helped me protect my house, I did a blog post and a podcast all about it!
My mission is to help empower every family with information so they can live their healthiest, happiest lives. I’d be remiss not to discuss how you can protect your family from the “dirty electricity” that swarms around us daily.
Why Worry about EMF Exposure?
Without going all science nerd on you, EMFs are invisible lines of energy that radiate from all electrical devices. This includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and wireless technology.
There are different types and levels of EMFs that are emitted by different types of electronics—some are lower and some higher. Regardless, my concern is that the combined effect of all the types is causing both acute and chronic conditions. Multiple scientific studies have proven that EMFs disrupt our body’s natural balance of the millions of electrical impulses our bodies use to regulate cellular activity. Our bodies have their own biochemical and electric responses, and external EMFs interfere with those, causing issues to all the body’s systems, including the digestive, nervous system, brain, and heart functions.
EMFs are suspected of causing:
- Oxidative damage
- Fertility issues
- Tissue, skin, and eye damage
- Skin aging and wrinkles
- Immune system weakness
- Aches and pains in muscles and joints
- Lower concentration/brain fog
How Are We Exposed to EMFs?
As technology is used more in our homes, as well as in the workplace and in society at large, it’s impossible to avoid EMF exposure. The threat of adverse health effects of EMF exposure continues to grow because we are consistently adding to the number of technological devices we can’t live without (there’s an app for that, right).
This is just a shortlist of devices we are in daily contact with that expose us to EMFs:
- Video displays
- Power lines
- Electric car engines
- Card readers
- Anti-theft devices
How to Protect Your Family from EMF Exposure
But there is good news. There are simple and affordable ways to stay protected, no matter where you live or how you live your life.
- Avoid using your laptop while it’s resting on your lap. I know, I know—that’s what it was made for. But those handy, compact computers put off a great deal of EMFs, especially when they are plugged into an electrical socket. If you need to have your computer on your lap, get a shield to use under it. I have one and have used it for years!
- Limit the amount of time you are on your cell phone. Again, I know this is challenging. We’ve become glued to our phones to do everything. If you must use your phone a lot to receive work calls, for example, use a pair of non-Bluetooth earphones or earbuds so that you aren’t holding your phone next to your head for extended periods of time.
- Use a detached keyboard and mouse rather than the ones on your laptop. This naturally distances you from your laptop, reducing the amount of EMFs you are exposed to.
- Back away from the microwave, and don’t watch it warm up your food (as tempting as it may be). Better yet, ditch the microwave and get a smart oven! We have had this one for a long time and it is so much better (and safer) than a microwave!
- Unplug all electronic devices when they aren’t in use. This will take some time to make into a habit, but it’s worth it—your family’s health is at stake. An added benefit is a lower electric bill! #winning
- Leave your cell phone at least 3 feet away from your desk, bed, chair, or anywhere you spend a lot of time. This keeps you from being in the direct line, so you absorb the EMFs. This will help you unplug more too, which is excellent for your mental health. 😊
- Never wear your cell phone or any Bluetooth devices on your body.
- Try “Earthing,” which is simply the practice of putting your bare feet on the ground so that you can absorb Earth’s electrons. Electrons are negatively charged, so this helps you cancel out EMF exposure and restore a sense of balance.
- Turn Wi-Fi off when you don’t need it—which is more often than you may think. Even getting into the habit of turning it off every night before you go to bed will help lower the amount of “dirty electricity” in your home. This way, you have it programmed in your head that Wi-Fi doesn’t always have to be on. We have ours hooked up to a Christmas light timer, so it turns off at bedtime and then turns on again in the morning.
- Set up an EMF-detox zone in one room in your home. This room will be a no phone, laptop, Bluetooth zone where you can give your body a chance to detox from EMFs. Take time to rest and relax in this room when you don’t need to be by your electronics. Not sure what to do? Read a book. Drink tea. Meditate. Write in a journal. Sounds like heaven to me!
- If you are in the habit of letting your child play with your phone to keep them entertained (busted), make sure to turn it to “airplane mode” first. This will limit their EMF exposure. Make sure you have protective devices on your devices to block EMF’s. My personal favorite is the Safe Shield for my phone, and the LifeTune Device on the ipads that my kids use.
- Avoid sleeping with an electric blanket or heating pad. It’s vital that while we sleep, our bodies can rest and rejuvenate from the stresses of the day. Our bodies naturally heal and replenish themselves while we are at rest. This is also why I recommend the next tip.
- Replace electric alarm clocks and alarm apps on your cell phone with a battery-operated clock.
- Arm your nervous system, which is the first system that seems to be affected by EMFs, by eating a healthy diet! A diet full of organic vegetables and fruits, organically raised meat, raw dairy, egg yolks, and homemade bone broth (or you can buy pre-made here) will protect your body’s cells from the ravages of EMFs and will strengthen your immune system also.
Although all the above should become standard practice in your household, I recommend placing EMF blocking-protection on all your electronic devices, including pads, phones, and computers. Like I mentioned above, I use this on my phone, and these on our ipads and computers. If you’re like me, I have multiple techie devices, and I have protection on ALL of them.
Hey, I’m taking every precaution, especially with four little ones in the house! EMFs are even more dangerous to children because they are smaller, and their bodies and brains are still developing. My husband and I even had a professional come and inspect our home to ensure we live in an EMF-free zone! You can read all about it HERE.
Now that you have the lowdown on EMF exposure and how to limit it, you have some homework. Try out some of these tips with your family and let me know which ones work best for you!
CLICK HERE to Pin this Post