I grew up eating as many meals as I could while sitting on my Grandpa’s lap. He always had the best food on his plate. He would always chose the dark meat, everything came with sauerkraut, and he LOVED butter! This was back when eating all of those foods was not generally accepted as “healthy.” My how times have changed since the “low-fat,” white meat chicken eating days of the 80’s and 90’s!
One food I remember eating, in particular, was pudding. He said that pudding was the best medicine for everything that ailed you. What kid can argue with that! Whether or not there was any truth to what he said, I always wanted pudding when I was feeling sick, or even when I was feeling blue. To this day, eating pudding puts a smile on my face and takes me back to those days sitting on his knee at the dinner table while lapping up butter and pudding!
So fast forward to today: 3 kids later, and following a Paleo-ish diet (we do eat raw dairy). When my kiddos are under the weather, I whip up a batch of magical healthy chocolate pudding too! Only my version is a little different.
My pudding actually DOES have health-promoting ingredients!
- Raw honey: honey can help reduce coughs and sore throats. It contains vitamins and minerals (important to replenish when kiddos are under the weather or throwing up), and it can even help relieve constipation! If you can find local honey it also helps with allergies!
- Avocado: filled with healthy fats and more vitamins and minerals
- Cocoa: full of antioxidants, and can even help lift your mood
- Bananas: full of potassium (important with vomiting or diarrhea), are known to be anti-inflammatory, and can even help boost serotonin production (your feel-good neurotransmitter)
- Coconut Oil: the lauric acid found in coconut oil can kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi
- Sea Salt: important minerals and trace minerals
5-Ingredient Healthy Chocolate Pudding
- 2 avocados
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup raw honey — where to find
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder — where to find
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil — we get ours HERE (use coupon code REALFOOD for 10% off your entire order!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Throw all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth and creamy
- Makes approximately 2 cups
- Store your healthy chocolate pudding in a glass container in the fridge, and it should last about 2 days
Watch the video below for more information
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
CLICK HERE to share “Dairy Free Healthy Chocolate Pudding” on Google+