These are tasty little savory broccoli and cheese egg muffins that use only a handful of ingredients. They feature no grains and are very low in carbs, making them ideal if you are on a low carb or keto diet. More so, they are a great way to sneak more veg into your kids’ breakfast! They freeze well too.
- The vegetables (in this case, blitzed broccoli) need to be cooked a little first so that as much moisture can be cooked out and released, thus preventing a soggy end result.
- It is important to allow the cooked vegetables to cool a little before adding to the egg mix, to prevent parts of the egg cooking before filling the cases.
- Eggs are notorious for sticking – even to the best non-stick pans. I like to use parchment cups. If you prefer, spray the cases a little with your favorite non-stick baking spray.
- Use any low-carb vegetables (like grated zucchini and finely chopped peppers) – but be sure to cook them out first (as mentioned in the first tip).
When you need a quick breakfast, make a big batch of these delicious, savory egg muffins to have them for the week for a grab-and-go meal. They are also perfect for sack lunches for school and/or work.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C) and line a muffin tray with 8 parchment cups.
- Chop the broccoli florets in a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan and add in the broccoli. Fry over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl and leave to cool a little. (I use a wide bowl as it speeds up cooling.)
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then add the cream and grated cheese. Whisk in the baking powder, ensuring it is evenly distributed and the mixture is lump-free.
- Stir in the cooled broccoli and grated cheese, then divide the mixture between the 8 parchment cups. I like to use the ¼ cup from a set of measuring cups to do so, because you can be assured every ‘muffin’ gets equal amounts of the broccoli (which may sink to the bottom of the bowl).
- Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 14-15 minutes.
- Delicious enjoyed warm, or straight from the fridge. Better yet, they freeze well!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 150mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g