Our livers are responsible for detoxing our bodies every day, all day, all the time….no breaks. In this toxic world, we are overburdened with toxins. We come into contact with WAY more toxins in our modern world than people did even 100 years ago. When we do not properly support our body’s natural detoxification system it can quickly become overburdened and lead to chronic disease. This is why I love my liver cleansing detox smoothie!
One of the liver’s primary functions is filtering the blood. Almost 2 quarts of blood pass through the liver every minute for detoxification. Filtration of toxins is absolutely critical as the blood from the intestines contains high levels of bacteria, bacterial endotoxins, antigen-antibody complexes, and various other toxic substances. When working properly, the liver clears 99% of the bacteria and other toxins during the first pass. However, when the liver is damaged, such as in alcoholics, the passage of toxins increases by over a factor of 10. (source)
So let’s give our livers a little assistance and help boost the detoxification process with a healthy diet and liver detoxification enhancing smoothies!
What you need:
- 3 beets (quartered) —-> stimulates liver function
- 3 carrots —-> stimulates liver function
- 2 cups leafy greens of your choice —-> neutralize heavy metals and toxins
- 1 cup dandelion greens —-> bitter greens increase the creation and flow of bile
- 1 organic lemon (quarterd) —-> high in vitamin C, which aids the body in synthesizing toxic materials into substances that can be absorbed by water and eliminated via expiration, urine and sweat
- 1 apple, cored and sliced —-> helps cleanse and release toxins from the digestive tract, taking the burden off of the liver
- 1 cup purple cabbage (chopped) —-> increase the amount of glucosinolate in your system, aiding enzyme production in the liver
- filtered water
- 1 high powered blender — like this one
- 2 Tbsp MCT (medium chain triglyceride) oil, which helps make the nutrients more absorbable by the body. MCT oil does not need to be broken down by the liver so it is an ideal fat to consume when detoxing your liver! — where to find
- Add ingredients to your blender, starting with the large chunks first (beets and apples)
- Add the rest and pour water to about 3/4 full
- Blend on high until liquified (you can add more water to your desired consistency)
- Enjoy right away for the most nutritional benefits!
If you really want to make this smoothie nutritious, add 1 Tbsp whey and let it sit on your counter top for 24 hours, covered with a cloth. Lacto-fermented liver cleansing smoothie!
CLICK HERE to Pin this post
This post is part of: Party Wave Wednesdays, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Wildcrafting Wednesdays, Thank Your Body Thursdays, The HomeAcre Hop, Eat Fat Friday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Weekend Potluck, Unprocessed Fridays, Simply Natural Saturdays, Homestead Barn Hop, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Thank Goodness it’s Monday, Homemade Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesdyas