Some days my kids just decide that they do not want to eat anything that I make. Isn’t that wonderful? What’s a Mom to do?! I’m sure not going to resort to feeding them junk just to make them happy. I have learned to be tricky over the years and have been developing recipes that appear to be junk food to the kids, but are in fact healthy. Baked sweet potato tots are definitely one of my favorites, I always have them on hand! Easy to make, inexpensive, and they keep well in the freezer.
Why I love giving these to my kids:
- Parmesan cheese is a great source of protein, the kind we buy has 40g of protein per cup!
- Sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin D, iron and magnesium
- They are gluten free and, because they are baked not fried, they do not contain any seed oils
Here is a quick visual of what regular Tater Tots contain. No thank you!
- 3 cups sweet potatoes
- 1 cup grated raw parmesan cheese, plus more for rolling tots in
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes
- Steam them until just starting to get tender, but not cooked through
- In a food processor, pulse sweet potato until small crumbles form
- In a bowl combine sweet potatoes and cheese, mash together with your hands until well combined
- Form into balls (I used this tool to get uniform balls) and roll in parmesan until lightly coated
- Place onto cookie sheet and bake at 425* for 10-15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes to cook evenly on all sides
- These freeze very well, but freeze after rolling into balls — do not bake first
- I freeze them on a cookie sheet until firm and then place into a freezer bag
- I keep a bag of them in the freezer at all times, in case of a picky kid emergency I just pop a few of these in our toaster oven and in minutes I have a quick healthy snack or a great side for dinner
- Makes approximately 30 tots
P.S. If you want to find the best gluten free items online (best prices around, believe me I have checked!) with free shipping, I highly recommend Thrive Market, they even have a special Gluten Free section. CLICK HERE to check them out!