I love my essential oil diffusing jewelry. When I’m on the go, and away from a power outlet, I can still reap the benefits of aromatherapy. When I am out and about I always have a diffuser necklace on! Now, I have a fancy new lava bead diffuser bracelet to wear that seriously costs a fraction of the price you pay buying one of these at the store online!
After seeing the price of some of the jewelry online, I decided I would make my own. Really it’s easy, and I made this bracelet in less than half an hour. Can you say fun kid project? Oh yeah, my daughter loves making these too!
Lava beads are great for diffuser jewelry because they are porous and hold the oils. Made from volcanic lava rock, they come in many different colors.
How to Make Your Own Lava Bead Diffuser Bracelet
Lava beads are great for diffuser jewelry because they are porous and hold the oils.
- A pair of beading round-nosed pliers
- A package of waxed cording
- Decorative beads of your choice
- Lava beads
- Four crimp beads
- A set of toggle clasps
- Gather your materials.
- Measure your wrist or the wrist of the person who will be wearing the bracelet. If you want your bracelet to fit loosely, add about ½ inch to that measurement to get the length of your bracelet.
- Lay out the bead configuration you want, and measure how long it is.
- Subtract the length of the bead configuration from the length of your bracelet. Divide that difference by two, and make a note of that number.
- Slide one side of the toggle clasp onto the cord. Fold over the cording and secure with a crimp bead. Cut off the excess.
- Measure from the clasp along the cord the measurement that you got in Step 3. Place a crimp bead here.
- Slide on the rest of your beads and secure them with a crimp bead at the end.
- Measure from that crimp bead the measurement you got in Step 3. This is where you slide on the other end of the toggle clasp.
- Secure the second toggle clasp piece with your last crimp bead as you did in Step 5. Trim any excess.
- Your bracelet is done!
To Use Your Lava Bead Diffuser Bracelet
- Place a drop of your favorite essential oil on one of the beads on the bracelet.
- Wait a few minutes for the oil to absorb into the bead before putting it on, to avoid staining your clothes.
- If you find that your lava beads are not very absorbent, either wipe them with a cotton ball soaked with nail polish remover or rough them up a little bit with an emery board.
- Some of the beads come with a waxy coating that prevents them from absorbing the oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A few of my favorite essential oil blends to use on my bracelet are:
- Stress Away: can help induce relaxation, reduce occasional nervous tension, reduce mental rigidity and restore equilibrium
- Valor: use it to greet each morning with a positive attitude or to unwind at the end of the day
- Joy: often worn as a perfume, Joy is used to exude an alluring and irresistible fragrance that inspires romance and togetherness
- Peace & Calming: creates a relaxing environment that’s especially great for moms who are busy with children!!! I use this one a LOT!
Well, are you going to give this one a try? These also make great gift ideas! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
22 Replies to “How to Make Your Own Lava Bead Diffuser Bracelet”
Where did you get the lava beads? I really want to make these. 🙂
Hi Tessa, I put up a link in the post where to find the beads now. Sorry about that! I hope you have fun making them 🙂
What millimeter size are your lava beads?
I want to say 15 mm
Hi. The four crimp beads you use are not the crimp beads that I’m used to using that look like little barrel cylinders. Your crimp beads have an opening are are circles. What tool do you use to close this type of crimp bead?
I heard you should not let the oils lay against your skin.
I apply oils topically every day!
You are right Stacy, don’t put oils directly on your skin, you should always dilute with a carrier oil, unless they are pre-mixed already!!!
Will there be instructions to make the drawstring diffuser bracelet?
What size toggle clasp do you use?
What is the best carrier oil to mix with the oils?
I like to use this one: https://amzn.to/2xGAcBi
How long does the fragrance last and how often should the oil be reapplied? Thanks!
It lasts several hours, reapply every 2-3
I made a bracelet last night after seeing a friend’s. I used the memory wire, which only required the needle nose pliers to bend the end in a loop to hold the beads on. Hobby Lobby has several colors for the lava rocks.
My question is can you change the oil on the lava rocks? Do you need to soak it out, rinse, etc?
You can change the oils, they wear off eventually. No need to wash
I bought everything you suggested and the lava rocks dont work with the thread you recommended, ordered lava rocks with larger mm and still doesnt work?? what lava rocks are consistent to work with the thread you recommend
Hello Lynn, I linked to a general page on Amazon with a variety of lava beads so you can choose which ones you like best. Maybe try ordering the beads with a larger hole size than you ordered. Sorry about that.
Very good information. Thank you from one RN to another! DeAna
Are the lava beads waxed or unwaxed to absorb the oils?
unwaxed to absorb the oils