Quick and easy homemade aioli, with the addition of acidic lemon. My recipe below shows makes a small batch, approx. 1 tub / 1 large cup and this can easily and quickly be done manually with only a bowl and a whisk.
But, if you want to make a larger batch, you can do so with an immersion blender or regular blender, as long as it has an opening that allows you to slowly and patiently drizzle the oil in, which is essential to mayo so that it will emulsify.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- Juice and zest from ½ lemon
- Generous sprinkle salt
- 1 cup olive oil
1. Combine the egg yolk, mustard and minced garlic in a bowl.
2. Add the lemon juice and zest and season generously with salt. Whisk well.
3. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture, whisking continuously. Do not add too much at a time, or the mixture may will not emulisfy. (I found it’s easier to do this by placing the bowl onto a wet paper towel on the counter top to prevent the bowl from slipping. This also frees your other hand to manage the oil drizzling.)
4. Cover and store in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 220 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g