“Fat Bombs” just sound disgusting. I imagine a little, round ball of yucky body fat exploding when I hear the name. But, I finally got over it and fell in love! You know about my sweet tooth. Well, fat bombs satisfy it while helping me stay healthy. It doesn’t get better than that!
What are Fat Bombs?
Fat bombs are homemade morsels made of a blend of high fat, low carbohydrate foods. Popular high fat foods to include in fat bombs are coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut butter, nuts, butter and cream cheese, though any healthy fat can be used. Still doesn’t sound that tasty, huh? Well, read on!
Healthy fats are important for multiple reasons, and fat bombs have become a way that people who are on low carb or Ketogenic diets can add calories to their daily diet without needing to add carbs into the menu. Let me explain.
Eating a diet low in carbohydrates but high in fat causes a state of ketosis in the body. This is a natural state in which the body is starved of simple sugars and so begins to burn stored fat instead of carbohydrates. The Ketogenic diet first became popular in the 1920’s as part of the treatment for epilepsy. Though it’s still used for that, and also as a natural cancer treatment, in the last few years it’s become increasingly popular with body builders and those who need to lose weight.
I use them as a way to satisfy my sweet tooth but also to make sure my family gets all the healthy fat we need to stay fit. Since my kiddos’ brains and bodies are still developing, they need lots of extra healthy fat in their diets and fat bombs are an easy way to get them to eat it. They think it’s candy, right? 😉 Fat bombs also provide protein, fiber and a punch of energy without the sugar high.
How to Make Fat Bombs
Fat bombs usually include at least 85% fat. Making them is easy. You basically need:
- Your fat base (e.g. coconut oil, butter and cream, cream cheese, butter)
- Low-carb flavorings or sweeteners (e.g. cocoa powder, flavored stevia, spices)
- Other healthy, low-carb additions (seeds, nuts, dried fruit, coconut)
Try my caramel apple fat bomb recipe.
I like to use coconut oil in fat bombs because it has so many health benefits:
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Lowers risk of high blood pressure
- Reduces inflammation and arthritis
- Protects against cancer
- Boost immune system (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral)
- Increases brain function and memory
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Improves skin irritations
- Improves type II diabetes
- Slows signs of aging
- Improves liver and gallbladder function
- Helps balance hormones
- Improves digestion
- Increases energy and stamina
- Builds muscle
For those of you who are focused on losing weight, coconut oil is wonderful to add into your diet:
- Helps your body burn fat
- Is used immediately for energy, rather than being stored
- Decreases appetite
- Helps get rid of belly fat, specifically
Why You Should Eat Fat Bombs
Even though we’ve been told for over 20 years to cut back on the fat, scientists are finally proving that healthy fat is necessary. Eating fat bombs adds healthy fats to your diet in a delicious way. You don’t have to eat a handful of coconut oil every morning to get the benefits—just pop a few fat bombs!
Healthy fats provide important nutrients to your heart, skin, lungs, brain and immune system. And, if you thought ketosis was only for weight loss, think again! Staying in a healthy state of ketosis:
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- Decreases insulin sensitivity
- Lowers risk of developing type II diabetes
- Lowers triglycerides
- Decreases belly fat
- Reduces severity of acne
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lessens symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
- Reduces total cholesterol and HDL “bad” cholesterol
- Reduces risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- “Starves” cancer cells
So, you can feel great about adding fat bombs to your diet, no matter how disgusting the name sounds. Trust me, once you try one, you won’t mind what they are called!
CLICK HERE to Pin this post
CLICK HERE to share “What Are Fat Bombs?” on Google+