Cow tongue may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of what to eat, but don’t be so quick to dismiss it. Cow tongue is a fatty (that means yummy), nutrient dense organ that has many health benefits. Plus, its easy on the pocketbook! Tongue is full of nutrients, which include folate (neural tube development), selenium (thyroid health and oxidative stress), iron (red blood cell health), potassium, niacin, and zinc. Cow tongue is also a great source of vitamin B12, the B vitamin that is only found in animal foods. So the vegetarians out there might want to consider maybe a little supplemental cow tongue in order to keep their brains healthy.
Back to the fatty part…cow tongue is a pretty fatty cut of meat so you want to be sure your tongue is properly sourced, meaning that you should make sure it is grass-fed and hormone/antibiotic free. Toxins are stored in fat, plus the fat from grain-fed cows contains a higher level of the pro-inflammatory omega-6 fats. So, go to your local co-op or farmer down the road and put in an order for grass-fed cow tongue and get ready to cook up something really (food-geek) fun!
- 1 beef tongue
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos — where to find
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 T fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T arrowroot powder, dissolved in 1 Tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the beef tongue for at least 3 hours. Remove from water, rinse, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Peel off the skin (for those of you who enjoyed Anatomy and Physiology, this part is awesome!!!), cut the meat into long strips, and set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat the sesame oil and add the garlic and ginger
- When garlic has browned slightly, whisk in the lemon juice, vinegar, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper
- When the mixture comes to a simmer, add the arrowroot powder and stir until the sauce thickens slightly
- Add the tongue strips and stir to coat the meat with the sauce
- Impress all of your crazy food-geek friends!
CLICK HERE to Pin this recipe
If you enjoyed this recipe, please +1 and share below.