In my on-going quest for eternal youth I just had to some up with something to combat puffy eyes! When my third child was a newborn, I woke up after a sleepless night and looked in the mirror. I looked old! Very puffy and old. No sleep was not doing me any good. So I dug in my makeup bag and finally decided to try that free sample of caffeine eye cream that I had been holding onto for months. It worked! I watched the years melt away as my face began to normalize again. I began using it every morning….until the small sample tube ran out.
Being the DIY crazy Mom that I am, I decided to find a way to make my own DIY caffeine eye serum. I mean it can’t be all that hard, right? Nope, it’s most definitely not! I had read that almond oil is great for reducing dark circles, so I decided to make some coffee infused almond oil! I had also already been putting castor oil under my eyes every night before bed to keep the skin around my eyes youthful looking (and as an added benefit, I noticed it made my eyelashes longer too!), so I added some of that to the mix too.
A little bit about why caffeine works to reduce puffiness:
- Caffeine applied topically improves circulation and plumps up the skin, diminishing the appearance of the circles. It also helps constrict blood vessels to reduce swelling
- Caffeine has potent antioxidant properties
- Caffeine helps protect cells against the UV radiation and slows down the process of photoaging of the skin
One more thing, if you don’t want to make your own caffeine eye serum, there is one makeup company that makes a great caffeine eye cream that is non-toxic. I love it and actually bring that one with me when I travel! You can learn more about it here.
DIY Caffeine Eye Serum
What you need:
- 1/4 cup ground organic coffee
- 1/3 cup sweet almond oil — where to find
- 2 Tbsp castor oil — where to find
- dropper bottle — I get them here
- cheesecloth or nut milk bag
- Note: I have had some readers wonder if the coffee might stain the skin under their eyes. While I have not personally noticed any staining, you could certainly make the serum using a green coffee — like this one
- Combine the sweet almond oil and the coffee in a glass jar
- Cover with a lid and let sit on the counter for a week to infuse
- Using your cheesecloth or nut milk bag (that’s what I used), strain the infused oil into a bowl, you might have some small coffee residue that gets through and that’s just fine
- Add the castor oil to the bowl and stir to combine
- Using a small funnel, pour the oil into your dropper bottle
- Apply caffeine eye serum under eyes in the morning or at night, whenever you prefer. I personally include it in my bedtime routine
- A really fun way to use this oil is in a small roller bottle with a metal roller ball. Store it in the fridge so the roller ball gets cold and then use it as needed for puffiness — the cold ball will increase effects! You can find a roller bottle with a metal ball HERE
Don’t forget to use a great Non-toxic Makeup too!
CLICK HERE to Pin this post