Do you want to know how to make an abrasive cleaning powder from eggshells? Of course you do! I created this cleaner because I love to clean, no seriously. It’s mindless busy work and immediate gratification. I especially love to get some thing REALLY clean, shiny and new. Enter: the abrasive cleaner. The only problem is that so many of the cleaners out there are full of toxic junk and when we clean with them they are absorbed by our bodies through our skin and mucous membranes. That is not so good. I needed something that got the job done without making me toxic.
One day while crushing egg shells to put into my garden for nutrients, I thought maybe this would make a good scouring powder. So I mixed it with some baking soda and my new favorite abrasive cleaner was born. Abrasive cleaning powder that I made from egg shells.
Abrasive Cleaning Powder (made from eggshells!)
What you need:
How to make it:
- Crack the eggs and set the shells aside on a baking sheet. Scramble the eggs and eat them.
- Dry the eggshells on a cookie sheet in the sun or a low oven until you can crush them in your hands. They need to be completely dry or else they will not grind up well.
- In your mortar and pestel grind them into a coarse powder. I suppose you could also do this in a coffee grinder or something similar.
- Mix with baking soda.
- Sometimes to boost the cleaning power of this powder I will add a little splash of vinegar to really get it cooking.
Use this cleaner on:
- Baked-on food residue
- Cooking utensils
- Tough stains on sinks and tubs
- Toilet bowl
How to use: Wet surface and apply cleanser; rub/scour gently as needed and rinse. Vinegar gives it a boost so splash some of that on too.
That’s all there is to it. I store is in a glass pickle jar that I reused. Simply punch holes in the lid with a hammer and nail. Instant powder cleaner dispenser! Earth-friendly, recycled container, non-toxic. Both Mama and Mother Earth will be happy with this one! Hope you enjoy your Abrasive Cleaning Powder made from eggshells!